Recently, on my book tour through Ontario, I discovered a new charity. Their mission is about kids… in our own country, who do not have enough food to eat and often come to school hungry. Hunger and a roaring tummy lend to distracted and tired kids. Many families who are ‘food insecure’ and rely on food banks and other resources during the week, have a tough time making ends meet on the weekend. ‘Blessings in a Backpack’ is a unique program that sends a child home with a backpack full of food, to be returned after the weekend empty.
This simple act of food giving makes an immediate benefit to the child and their family. Attendance and productivity soar, students have more energy and the teachers notice a huge improvement in the school work of these kids. It seems like a no-brainer to help feed a Canadian child and for only $100 a year, that is all it takes! And 100% of all donations go directly to feeding kids (nothing lost to administrative costs).
‘Be That Books’ proudly supports this initiative. If you’d like to make a donation to the cause, you can find all the details HERE.
Latest posts by Tina O'Connor (see all)
- Get your dose of daily Yoga in 8 minutes! - June 7, 2017
- It’s a GREAT Friday with $1.99 Kobo Ebooks All Day! - April 14, 2017
- Making Good Friday Great with a Big EBook Sale! - April 7, 2017
- Waste not, Want Not: Reuse your Water, Simply. - May 6, 2015
- Go after what you want! - April 30, 2015